Interview with Hilmar Karlsson about the collaboration between Eimskip and Delegate
Virtual and Dynamics 365 CRM
Eimskip, a leading transportation provider in the North Atlantic, based in Iceland is on a journey to become more customer-centric, with even better service, while at the same time removing waste and increasing their margins. No small feat!
This gets even more challenging with 55 offices in 18 countries with 1635 employees. One of the strategies is to harvest synergies by creating ONE GLOBAL EIMSKIP team, aligning processes and systems to better service the company and its customers.
To support this journey Eimskip needs a strong partner to help with their Digital Journey focused on their technology of choice Dynamics 365 CRM and CE.
CIO Eimskip, Hilmar Karlsson:
“We ran the first project as an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) where we implemented and started to use Dynamics 365 CRM and CE for our Service department and then rolled it out globally, this was a critical project to start Eimskip’s journey and prove that it could be done”.
The Initial workshops were held both in Denmark and Iceland but then Covid-19 hit and from March 2020 all workshops were done virtually. Initial worries were quickly pushed aside, and the project proceeded at full speed with purely virtual meetings.
“We ran the first project as an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) where we implemented and started to use Dynamics 365 CE for our Service department and then rolled it out globally, this was a critical project to start Eimskip’s journey and prove that it could be done”.
Key ingredients for success
The key ingredients to success were:
- Strong project rhythm with regular meetings, pre-planned workshops
- Close collaboration using Agile SCRUM, Teams and Azure DevOps
- Buckets of trust and autonomy. The project was a partnership from the start and all participants were given leeway to solve project issues with full autonomy
- Strong support from Eimskip’s leadership with the CIO and CEO being key stakeholders
The MVP was an implementation of the following features in Dynamics 365 CRM and CE:
- Account Management to handle accounts and contact information. Both for customers and prospects
- Segmentation for basic segmentation of customers on various dimension
- Activity Management to track phone calls, e-mails and appointments
- Communication Reports to capture specific customer communication and knowledge sharing
- Service Requests to support management and collaboration between departs of service requests from the customers
- Bookings where employees handling bookings of Shipments and Shipment Services
- Booking templates to easily support recurring bookings
- Customer KPI’s to show finance information for accounts in Dynamics.
- Integration to SAP to access master data for Accounts and shipments.
Key deliveries from the process were:
- Process drawings of the AS-IS and TO-BE situation in Norway with involvement of 10 super-users in Norway
- Map of the Customer Journey for Norwegian customers with involvement of super-users and a key customer
- Architectural drawings
- RFP process, all meetings, demos etc. held virtually
- Contract signed virtually
Through close collaboration, trust and careful preparation Eimskip and Delegate proved that a difficult Digital Journey could proceed at full speed in a virtual environment. And as always, the change process requires a lot of good communication, an even stronger focus on workshop facilitation and just embracing the possibilities of the new Virtual Platforms such as Teams, virtual whiteboards, planner and co-creation of content etc.…
Today our digital journey continues. With Delegate we have created a roadmap for the next 3 years giving everyone a clear picture of the road ahead. Delegate is helping us to establish a new Global Sales Process and to implement Marketing Automation on top of the CE foundation we have built together. Plus preparing further digital projects. The journey continues and is 100% virtual!
You can read more about Strategic Consultancy, Digital Business Development, CRM, Digital Selling, Marketing Automation or Dynamics 365 if you want to investigate more in relation to the solutions that delegates implemented at Eimskip.